Which Cover Would Make You Stop and Look?
The designers at Palmista Press have been exploring possible cover directions for my forthcoming novel, What If I Was Digital?
Now I need your help.
Palmista has produced ten different cover concepts, each approaching the central idea of the book in a slightly different way. Some are intimate and emotional. Others are more abstract, philosophical or distinctly science-fictional.
I have been looking at them for long enough that I can see something compelling in almost every direction. That makes choosing between them considerably more difficult.
So, rather than keeping the decision entirely inside the publishing process, I would like to ask the people who may eventually see the book in an online store, pick it up or read it.
Which cover speaks to you?
What Is the Book About?
What If I Was Digital? explores a deceptively simple question:
If a human mind could continue to exist digitally after the biological body was lost, would that digital consciousness still be the same person?
The story is not only about technology. It is about identity, continuity, family, love and whether our relationships can survive a transformation that changes the very nature of human existence.
That is why the book carries a second question:
Would you still love me?
The cover needs to communicate both sides of the novel. It must look like transhuman science fiction, but it should also suggest the deeply human relationships at the centre of the story.
The Ten Cover Concepts
I have numbered the designs in the order they appear in this post:
Cover 1 uses a bold red, blue and cream editorial style. It combines physical and geometric faces with small scenes representing relationships across different stages of life.
Cover 2 presents biological and digital profiles facing away from each other, with intimate moments shown inside the larger forms.
Cover 3 divides one central human figure between a physical and digital existence, surrounded by several encounters between biological and digital people.
Cover 4 focuses on one intimate moment: a woman facing the digital version of a man through a transparent barrier.
Cover 5 uses detailed realism to show several generations of a family encountering digital versions of the people they love.
Cover 6 uses a clean, modern illustrative style to represent women, children and older people meeting their digital counterparts.
Cover 7 takes a more restrained, textured approach, with large opposing profiles containing smaller human relationships.
Cover 8 uses a bold retro-modern composition, contrasting warm biological figures with cool digital identities across generations.
Cover 9 develops the paired-profile concept with brighter colours and a clearer distinction between the physical and digital sides.
Cover 10 reduces the idea to a fingerprint divided between biological and digital forms, with human figures meeting inside it.
Each design contains part of the book’s identity, but they create very different expectations.
Some suggest an intimate and emotional novel. Some imply a broader philosophical story about humanity. Others immediately signal technology, digital consciousness and science fiction.
The challenge is finding the cover that communicates all of those elements without becoming confusing.
I Would Genuinely Like Your Opinion
Please tell me which cover you prefer by leaving a comment with its number.
If you have time, I would also value your thoughts on any of the following questions:
Which cover would make you stop scrolling?
Which one most clearly communicates transhuman or digital-consciousness fiction?
Which design makes you most curious about the story?
Which cover best expresses the question, “Would you still love me?”
Which one would remain clear and recognisable as a small online thumbnail?
Is there a cover you like visually but feel would create the wrong expectation about the novel?
Would you combine the visual concept of one cover with the typography or colours of another?
You do not need to be a designer or publishing expert. I am particularly interested in your immediate reaction as a reader.
A book cover has only a moment to make a connection. It needs to communicate genre, mood and curiosity before the reader has encountered a single sentence of the story.
That first reaction matters.
What Happens Next?
These designs are part of the cover-development process and may not represent the final published cover. Your feedback will help me and the Palmista Press team understand which visual direction communicates the novel most effectively.
The final design may be one of these concepts, a refined version of a favourite or a combination of elements that readers respond to most strongly.
For now, I would simply like to know:
Which cover would make you want to discover what happens in What If I Was Digital?
Please leave your choice in the comments as Cover 1, Cover 2, Cover 3 and so on. If two or three stand out, feel free to rank them.
I am looking forward to seeing whether readers agree with one another, disagree completely or identify something in these designs that I have not yet noticed.
Thank you for helping us choose the face of the story.
A. Huname












Comments
Post a Comment